Rainbow Catholics India (RCI) came into being as ‘LGBT Catholic Space’ was formed following the meeting of Wendall Rodricks and Ruby Almeida with Cardinal Oswald Gracias in October 2018.
Virginia Saldanha (Feminist Theologian, writer, activist) was requested by Ruby to get together a group of people who would be interested in forming a group in India. Virginia contacted a group including Flavia Agnes (Advocate), Rachael A. (Feminist Theologian), Bhoomika P. (Advocate), Linda D. (Counsellor), Dr Ananda (Religious), Suren A. (Religious) who met with her and Ruby at Virginia’s house to brain storm on the formation of a group. From that group, Rachael stayed on to work with Virginia to build a group in Mumbai.
We set up a social media presence on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter to help create awareness and be available to those who want to reach out to us.
The Vision of Rainbow Catholics India is:
Unconditional, visible inclusion of our LGBTQ+ Catholic faithful in the Catholic Church
We aim to be:
- To be an inclusive pastoral support group for LGBTQ+ Catholics, families and friends.
- To work with other LGBTQ+ faith groups, allies and stake holders who share our vision statement.
- To dialogue with, inform, and educate the Church hierarchy on the lived experiences of the LGBT+ faithful.
In order to succeed in this venture, we developed the following objectives:
- To create dialogue and awareness about the needs of LGBTQ+ Catholics with Church hierarchy.
- To grow in number and reach out by having regional Rainbow Catholic groups in India.
- Publish articles and documents that promote justice and inclusion for LGBTQ+ Catholics through Catholic media outlets as well as our own social media platforms.
- Promote inclusive-theology by challenging erroneous theologies. Focus on Love and Compassion for all of God’s children.
- Create forums for LGBTQ+ Catholics voices to be heard.
- Form alliances with other LGBTQ+ Catholics, and other LGBTQ+ faith groups.
- Work with families and friends of LGBTQ+ Catholics.
- Work with gay-friendly priests and religious.
RCI now has representation at Mumbai, and Goa, and looks forward to expanding further and creating spaces where there is acceptance, solidarity, and guidance.
“Amid all our prejudices and false beliefs, we fail to recognise that LGBTQ+ persons are humans…created in the image and likeness of the same God we believe in, deserving the same love and acceptance in our communities as we expect for ourselves. It is simply un-Christian to deny this.”
– Rachael Alphonso, Co-founder Member, RCI.
Your LGBTI child is struggling to be who God created them to be. You need to support them. If you need help, contact us.”
– Virginia Saldanha, co-founder, RCI.